Begin dinner with something refreshing like this sangria, a recipe from the Junior League of Houston back in the 1970s. This refreshing beverage is ideal to enjoy during the transitional period between warmer and cooler seasons.
MAKES 6 TO 9 SERVINGS
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 750-ml bottle fruity red wine, like pinot noir
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 4 thin slices each of orange, lemon, and lime
- 1 fresh peach, pitted and sliced
Bring the sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
Remove from the heat and cool. Transfer the sugar water to a pitcher and add the wine, brandy, and citrus juices.
Chill. Before serving, add the ginger ale, pineapple, citrus slices, and peaches.