MAKES ABOUT 12 CUPS
Courtesy of Chef Paul Prudhomme
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, in all
- 2 1/2 pounds Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Andouille Smoked Sausage, ground (about 8 cups)
- 5 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 2 1/2 cups green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 7 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Pepper Sauce
- 5 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic
- 3 cups very fine dry breadcrumbs, unseasoned (preferably French bread)
- 10 slices smoked andouille sausage, cut into quarters (optional, for garnish)
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 5-quart pot, preferably a Dutch oven, over high heat.
Add the ground andouille and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom frequently to prevent sticking, until the sausage is beginning to brown and the oil is beginning to render, about 6 minutes. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are faded and translucent, but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the celery, bell peppers, and garlic. Continue to cook, stirring and scraping frequently, until the celery and bell peppers are faded in color, about 4 minutes. Add the Magic Pepper Sauce and Meat Magic. Stir and scrape until mixed in well and the brown crust on the bottom of the pot is dissolved.
Remove the pot from the heat and add the remaining butter.
Stir until the butter is melted. Fold in the half of the breadcrumbs, using a bottom-to-top folding motion.
When well mixed, fold in the remaining breadcrumbs. Continue to fold until the breadcrumbs are evenly moistened but still somewhat dry and cakey.
Serve the dressing directly from the Dutch oven or spoon it into a serving dish. Top with optional quarters of andouille sausage.
Chef’s Notes: If not using andouille sausage, add 1 to 2 additional tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic® for a fuller flavor. Magic Seasoning Blends’ Andouille Smoked Sausage is available by calling 800.457.2857. Overnight or 2nd day shipping required. If not using Meat Magic, any of the Magic Seasoning Blends will work well.