Deep in flavor and packed with veggies, this healthy, one pot meal with satisfy a need to cook with summer squash. The recipe comes to us from Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine.
MAKES 12 CUPS
– 1 medium zucchini, cut in chunks
– 2 medium yellow squash, cut in chunks
– 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into chunks (about 1 1/4 pounds or 6 cups)
– 5 Roma tomatoes cut into chunks
– 1 red onion, cut into chunks
– 6 garlic cloves, peeled
– 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 2 ounces prosciutto, diced
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
– 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
– Dash red pepper flakes
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 14 1/2 ounce can whole tomatoes in juice, lightly crushed
– 9 cups chicken broth
– 1 16-ounce can cannelloni beans or white beans, rinsed and drained
– 2/3 cup uncooked short tubular pasta
– Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss the zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, and carrots with the olive oil and salt and pepper, and place on a baking sheet covered with foil. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring the vegetables after 30 minutes. Remove from the oven; set aside.
In a large nonstick pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook the Prosciutto, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring. Add the bay leaves, tomatoes, broth, and white beans. Bring mixture to a boil and add the pasta. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta is done.
Add vegetables, remove bay leaves, and adjust seasoning to taste.
To Prepare and Eat Now: Serve with Parmesan cheese. If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth or water.
To Freeze: Cool to room temperature, then transfer to freezer containers, label, and freeze.
To Prepare After Freezing: Remove from freezer to defrost. Reheat in a nonstick pot over a low heat. Alternatively, you can reheat in the microwave. Serve with Parmesan cheese. If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth or water.
Diabetic Exchanges: 0.5 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 fat. Nutritional information per serving: 142 calories, 7 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 23 calories from fat, 1 g saturated fat, 6 g dietary fiber, 4 mg cholesterol, 531 mg sodium.