This recipe comes to us from Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 15-ounce can cream-style corn
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat, sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño pepper slices from a jar
- 2 cups combination seafood (crawfish tails; small, cooked, peeled, shrimp; or claw crabmeat)
Preheat oven 350°F.
In large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and sugar.
In another bowl, mix together milk, egg, and oil. Add onion, salt, green pepper, corn, cheese, green onion, and jalapeño to milk mixture, combining well. Stir into flour mixture. Gently stir in seafood.
Transfer mixture to 13x9x2-inch pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.
Chef’s Note: We baked ours in small, round ramekins. Spray 12 ramekins with cooking spray, fill with cornbread mixture, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean