This recipe comes from Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine.
MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- Tony Chachere’s seasoning, to taste
- 1 pound andouille sausage cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups hot chicken stock, in all
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion tops
- hot cooked rice for serving
Add 1/2 cup oil to a skillet, preferably cast iron, set over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a dark red-brown roux is achieved, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Add onions, celery, bell pepper, and Tony’s seasoning. Cook until onions are transparent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
To a very large, clean skillet set over medium-high heat, add remaining oil and chicken. Sauté until chicken is lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add andouille and cook until lightly browned and chicken is cooked throughout, about 7 minutes. Add roux-vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Slowly add hot stock, stirring constantly, and continue cooking until a stew-like consistency is achieved, about 15 minutes. Correct seasoning with additional Tony’s,
Garnish with parsley and green onion tops. Serve over hot rice.