This recipe comes to us from Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine.
MAKES 8 SERVINGS
Courtesy of Audubon Clubhouse, New Orleans
- 1 pound great northern beans
- 2 diced medium onions
- 1 diced rib celery
- 1 diced small green pepper
- 1 finely chopped clove garlic
- 4 chopped sprigs parsley
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 1 cup seafood stock
- 1/2 pound small (50–60 count)
- Louisiana shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot cooked Louisiana rice
Rinse and sort the beans. Add the beans to a medium pot or Dutch oven and add the onion and enough water to just cover. Soak overnight, covered. Drain the beans and onions and return to the pot.
Once again, add enough water to just cover. Add the celery, green pepper, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, and stock.
Cook over medium heat until beans begin to soften, about 30 minutes.
Gently stir in the shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to and simmer until beans are soft, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Serve over rice.