This recipe comes to us courtesy of Jägermeister and Chef Chris Santos. Want to create your own Jägermeister BBQ recipe for the chance to win an expertly butchered whole hog, half cow or flock of fowl delivered in a Jägermeister freezer, as well as a trip to NYC to taste through the best BBQ of NYC. To enter, visit the “Chris Santos Jäger BBQ” on the Jägermeister Facebook page. For more information, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/JagerUSA/app_336337369826914.
Jägermeister Kissed Chicken Skewers
- 4 lbs. chicken thighs
- Flour tortillas
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup Jägermeister
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup of ice
- 1/2 cup mustard
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup Jägermeister
- 2 tbsp. parsley (leaves only)
- 2 tbsp. thyme, chopped
- 2 lemons, zest only
- 2 oranges, zest only
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
Blood Orange Aioli
- 1 oz. roasted garlic
- 1/2 bottle mayo (34 oz. bottle)
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha
- 1 blood orange (if in season, otherwise use regular orange), zest only
- 1 tbsp. blood orange juice (if in season, otherwise use regular orange)
- Trim the excess fat and skin from the chicken thighs. Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- For the brine: In a tall-rimmed dish, dissolve the salt and sugar in the hot water. Combine with the cold water and ice then brine the chicken thighs for 2 hours, covered in refrigerator. Rinse after brining and pat dry.
- For the marinade: Whisk all of the ingredients together and combine with rinsed chicken cubes. Allow to marinate for up to 24 hours in zip lock bag or covered container.
- For the aioli: Place roasted garlic in a bowl and mash well with a plastic spatula. Fold in the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, orange zest, orange juice and Sriracha. Season with salt and pepper.
- Soak wooden skewers in water until well-absorbed. Skewer your chicken—about 4 chunks of chicken per skewer. Grill the skewers over medium/high heat turning often until cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- Use the grill to warm your tortillas. Slather each tortilla with the blood orange aioli and wrap each skewer in a finished tortilla.