Last month I deferred a review of the year’s accomplishments in order to give thanks to our wonderful staff and supporters. As we approach the end of the year and look forward to the next, it is now time to toot our own horn a bit. It has been a year of firsts, as well as one which reflects the coming into fruition of seeds planted years ago. These are listed in no particular order, but they are all exciting. For your convenience I have added various links for you to follow up.
- We became the SoFAB Institute, with a separate website to describe all that we do. Being the SoFAB Institute allows us to celebrate not only museums and exhibits, but all things food and drink.
- OKRA, our terrific online magazine, took on a new and sophisticated look. @OKRAmagazine
- Nitty Grits, the International Culinary Dictionary, was launched after a transition from the wonderful Suzy Oakes’ WhatAmIEating.com. This dictionary has over 85,000 entries and continues to grow. @NittyGritsWords
- The first Farm to Table International symposium took place in partnership with the Morial Convention Center.
- SoFAB West was conceived and launched with a number of exciting programs in the Los Angeles area with more planned for 2014.
- The Museum of the American Cocktail (MOTAC) became part of the SoFAB Institute.
- For the first time, the SoFAB Institute consulted on the design of another museum with the opening of the Old Arabi Sugar Museum in Arabi, LA.
- We held the Culinaria Query, asking the question “Is Food Art?” with panels in Durham, NC at Duke University, Los Angeles, New York at the New School, and in New Orleans.
- The opening of the SoFAB Culinary Library and Archive is the beginning of our presence on O.C. Haley Blvd. Just three blocks from famous St. Charles Avenue and a streetcar ride away from the French Quarter, this neighborhood is hosting a growing culinary corridor.
- Fundraisers in Florida and Arkansas have begun to raise funds for the various state exhibits that will be opening next year in the Southern Food and Beverage Museum.
Thanks for all of your support of the projects of 2013. Please join us for the fantastic happenings that we are planning for 2014. If you would like to volunteer, donate books or artifacts, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To make your end of year gift, see your choices here.
I am so excited about 2014. It is going to be our best year ever. And it is the beginning of our exhibits that will be seen around the country. Look for us and become part of the excitement.