MAKES 12 SERVINGS
Courtesy of Chef Colt Patin, Crawfish Town USA, Henderson, and Louisiana Cookin’
- 2 large butternut squash
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced small
- 3 ribs celery, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 9 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 gallon Seafood Stock (recipe follows)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thickly sliced
- 3 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, thickly sliced
- 1 quart heavy cream
- kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper,
- and cayenne to taste
- Blonde Roux (recipe follows), as needed
- 1 pound jumbo lump Louisiana crabmeat, picked through for shells and cartilage
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Cut butternut squash in half and place flesh-side down on a baking sheet. Roast in oven until fork tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Once cooked, remove flesh and purée in food processor. Set aside.
Add olive oil to a medium sauce pot set over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and red bell pepper and sauté until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic, butternut squash purée, and Seafood Stock. Bring to a simmer. Add bay leaf, thyme, oregano, and basil. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add cream and return to a simmer. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne. Add Blonde Roux, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking to incorporate until desired thickness is achieved. Fold in crabmeat and cook until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve.
- 1/2 pound Louisiana shrimp shells
- 2 Louisiana gumbo crabs
- 1 gallon water
Add all ingredients to a stock pot set over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes. Strain. Discard solids.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Melt butter in a skillet, preferably cast iron, set over medium heat. Whisk in flour, blending thoroughly to incorporate.