MAKES 1 (9-INCH) PIE
Courtesy of Atwood’s Bakery and Louisiana Cookin’
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup toasted coconut, plus more
- for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch pie crust, baked according to package directions
- fresh whipped cream or meringue, for topping
Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Whisk together the milk, egg yolks, and whole egg. Gradually whisk egg mixture into sugar mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat.
Stir in butter, 1 cup coconut, and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, placing plastic wrap directly on filling in pan; let stand 30 minutes.
Spoon custard mixture into prepared crust, cover and chill 30 minutes or until set. Top with whipped cream or meringue. If using meringue, bake for 12 to 15 minutes in pre-heated 325ºF oven until golden.