MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS
This excerpt from from Joe Simmer’s Creole Slow Cookin’ by Richard Stewart and Michael Ledet courtesy of Louisiana Cookin’
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Herbsaint or Pernod
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 pounds frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
Melt butter in skillet set over a medium-high heat.
Add onion and sauté until onions are soft and just begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, flour, white pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add cream, and, stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in Herbsaint or Pernod, chopped green onion, and parsley.
Place drained spinach in slow cooker, add sauce, and mix well. Cover and cook on low until thick, about 2 hours.
Chef’s Note: This may also be served as a dip with crackers or rounds of French brad