This recipe comes from Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine
MAKES 16 TO 20 APPETIZER PORTIONS
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup red beans, cooked until creamy
- 4 thinly sliced green onions
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped ham
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 eggs in all (1 for batter and 1 egg wash)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- oil for deep-frying
- Green Garlic Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
Mix together rice, red beans, onions, ham, and 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs. Sprinkle in hot sauce, then stir in 1 egg to form a tight batter.
Whisk milk and remaining egg to make an egg wash. Form small balls from red beans and rice mixture. Roll in flour, then coat with the egg wash and roll in the remaining breadcrumbs.
Heat oil to 360°F and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with Green Garlic Mayonnaise.
Green Garlic Mayonnaise
MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 green onions
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 egg
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
With food processor running, drop in garlic clove. Add green onions and parsley and process until well chopped. Add egg and lemon juice.
With machine running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Add salt and ketchup. Mix well and serve as a dipping sauce.