This recipe comes from Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine. Check out the magazine for yourself!
MAKES 18 CALAS
- 2 cups cooked long-grain Louisiana rice
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound Louisiana claw crabmeat
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- oil for frying
- Rémoulade Sauce (recipe follows)
Mix rice, flour, baking powder and salt together thoroughly. Add crabmeat and green onions and stir gently to incorporate. Add eggs and hot sauce and mix thoroughly into a tight batter. Drop by tablespoonfuls into hot oil (360°F) and fry until brown. Drain on paper towels.
Serve hot with Rémoulade Sauce for dipping.
MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
- 6 green onions
- 1 celery heart with tops
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley (leaves only)
- 1 cup Creole mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- juice of 1 lemon
Combine green onions, celery, and parsley in food processor. Process together until finely minced. Add
mustard, oil, paprika, cayenne, salt, and lemon and process until smooth.